Special Nutcracker activities just for you and your friends and family!
Thank you for making San Francisco Ballet’s Nutcracker a part of your holiday celebration this year! To make your experience even more magical, we have included some fun activities you can do from your own home!
How well do you know San Francisco Ballet’s Nutcracker? From an onstage blizzard to the distinctly SF production elements, test your knowledge and share with your friends!
Holiday Happy Hour!
Colin O’Malley of San Francisco’s John Colins and Sunset Cantina has created a cocktail for San Francisco Ballet from his new bar and restaurant, Damn Fine, in the Sunset District. This cocktail, The 12 O’Clock is inspired by Helgi Tomasson’s production of Nutcracker and the time the clock strikes before all the magic begins.
Gather up the ingredients listed below and follow along with Colin as he makes "The 12 O’Clock”.
THE 12 O’CLOCK
- 2 oz Rye Whiskey
- ¾ oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (roughly the juice of one lime)
- ½ oz Simple Syrup
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tsp Winterspice Cranberry Puree (recipe below)
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
Winterspice Cranberry Puree Ingredients:
- 2 cups Fresh Cranberries
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Pinch of Ground Clove
- In a small pot, place the cranberries, sugar, and orange juice over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Mash the cranberries and stir in the remaining spices. Simmer for 2 min on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add to blender. Pulse to combine until the mixture is smooth. Let cool for several minutes, then place in the refrigerator to chill before using.
Note: There will be plenty of Winterspice Cranberry Puree left over for multiple cocktails, but it can also be delightfully added to other drinks or dishes. Mix with a little orange juice and add to your mimosa for holiday morning cheer, or drizzle over vanilla ice cream and apple pie to elevate your dessert.
- To make the cocktail, pour whiskey, lime juice, simple syrup, egg white, and Winterspice Cranberry Puree in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake vigorously until egg white is frothy.
- Using a strainer, pour into a large wine glass.
- Take a sprig of rosemary and twist it a few times in your hands before wrapping it inside the glass as a fragrant garnish.
Get your craft on!
Create your own holiday centerpiece featuring some of the characters you’ll see in San Francisco Ballet’s Nutcracker. All you need is a printer, your favorite coloring tool, a pair of scissors, a glue stick, and a little creativity!
Listen to the music!
From the iconic, rousing Russian Trepak to the dreamy music accompanying the whirling snowflakes, San Francisco Ballet Orchestra’s recording of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker will have you dancing around your living room!
Know before you go (to the virtual Opera House)!
No performance is complete without a program book! Learn more about the story of SF Ballet’s Nutcracker and the Company’s artists with this special interactive program book!